i turned 28 last monday! and here are 28 things i loved about my birthday!
1. checking into the fullerton hotel with marlon on saturday. finally, all the clues revealed! (mad props to cris for figuring out the photo!)
2. the super duper high bed in our courtyard room. i want one now!
3. the high ceilings in the room!
4. the view of the river from town, the fullerton’s main restaurant. with the pretty white trellises twined with bougainvillea, it just felt so colonial and fresh and precious! hahaha. it was nice to finally be on the other side of the river and seeing the view.
5. just lazing around with a copy of eldest, the second book in the inheritance trilogy. i had been hankering for a long stretch of time to just burn through the book and i finally got it!
6. getting to wear my hot pink maison martin margiela sandal boots! i got them at the barney’s warehouse sale in new york and have only worn them once. these shoes make me feel like a million bucks!
7. the beautiful fullerton all lit up in the evening!
8. just having the esplanade across the road
9. a surprising sight from home… an ifugao dance at the esplanade lobby! it turned out to be a dance troupe from a university in tarlac, flown in for the singapore dance festival.
10. fantastic orchestra seats to dunas, a performance by flamenca maria pages and contemporary dance artist sidi larbi cherkaoui, to music by composer szymon brzoska. again, care of my hubby!
11. MARIA PAGES. OMG. the goddess of flamenco. powerful, regal, passionate and completely committed. there were really no words to describe her dancing. i must have cried at least 3 or 4 times during the performance. i really had no idea i could be moved to such an extent by a dancer.
11. SIDI LARBI CHERKAOUI. beautiful, inventive, honest and just so totally free. this artist can do amazing things with staging and production, surpassed only by the things he can do with his body. one of the most jaw-dropping parts of the dance was when he literally became like flowing sand dunes, rippling and tumbling and shifting all over the desert. yung tipong sinabihan siya ng “okay. you are sand. blow around the desert. go.” then he just goes “okay!” and completely transforms.
12. the music of dunas, by szymon brzoska and ruben labaniegos. a combination of western music, moroccan and arabic motifs, and flamenco… even with some early music thrown in for good measure. the perfect complement to a stunning performance. please if you ever find yourself in a city where dunas is showing, watch it.
13. the post-show dialogue with the artists, describing their journey and their creation. i loved seeing maria’s personality in particular, since she can just seem so godlike and imposing when she dances. she was completely endeared to me when she described how one part of the dance was conceptualized. she clapped her hands together gleefully and cried, “i want to be a tree! can i be a tree?”
14. two words. chocolate. buffet.
15. after all that sweetness, we suddenly craved for salt. so although we agreed to forego dinner, we ordered up a big plate of fries from room service and spent the last few hours of saturday reading in bed and satisfying the munchies. mmm.
16. waking up to my wonderful hubby.
17. spending pretty much all of sunday at the poolside like a pair of old white rich folks, baking in the sun in lounge chairs, reading and snacking on bar food.
18. speaking of ang moh tourists, there was an old white-haired french couple i loved sneaking peeks at. when she thought no one was looking, the old lady would pinch her husband’s butt. hahaha. sana maging ganun kami ni marlon.
19. speaking of marlon. his company all weekend was the cherry on my sundae, the icing on my birthday cake. more than once, he remarked, “i feel like it’s my birthday!”
20. buffet dinner at town. did we really need another buffet? not really. it was yummy though.
21. birthday breakfast at town on monday morning, my actual birthday! where marlon presented me with my birthday presents…
22. my new braun hair iron! bad hair days begone!
23. my new set of bobbi brown makeup brushes! this will stanch my craving for makeup classes for at least a few months. good thing there’s youtube!
24. mostly skiving work on my birthday. hehe.
25. the sumptuous dark chocolate opera cake the office got me for my birthday. there are so few people in the office now that everyone got to have a nice big slice and i still got to bring a full third of the cake home!
26. a tiny slice of birthday cake every day! not good for my waistline but it has certainly made me feel like the whole week was my birthday!
27. opening facebook to a flood of greetings on my wall!
28. feeling loved and happy all week! i couldn’t have asked for a better way to turn another year older!