Even a beautiful city like Amsterdam needs a little help in the winter. The sun disappears and it’s dark as early 3 or 4 p.m. When I need motivation to brave the cold and dark, and go out and see the city at night, thankfully there’s the Amsterdam Light Festival.
Now on its fourth year, the Amsterdam Light Festival turns the city into an open-air gallery of public art. It features light sculptures, installations, and projections from artists all over the world. From over 400 submissions, 35 artworks were chosen to brighten up Amsterdam’s cold, dark winter months.
Going on an Amsterdam Light Festival canal cruise has become one of my favorite yearly traditions. When I’m not on a press trip, I make sure to book far in advance because these cruises get sold out as soon as they go on sale. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you how you can skip the queues and book your cruise ahead of time. Queuing up in the cold is not fun!
Here are some of my favorite artworks from the past years.
A few tips for enjoying the Amsterdam Light Festival this winter:
- Dress extra warmly as it gets chilly on the boat. If you book your Water Colors cruise tickets via Ticketbar, you can enjoy a hot chocolate or mulled wine before departure.
- The Amsterdam Light Festival canal cruise is a more luxurious option. These cruises sail on half covered and heated boats equipped with pillows, blankets, a bathroom and mulled wine or hot chocolate on board.
- The Water Colors boat cruise takes about 75 minutes. Depending on your pace, the Illuminade walking route can take about 90 minutes on foot.
- Want to bring the kids? It gets dark as early as 3 to 4 p.m. in December, so you can start early, see a few installations, and still be home before dinner and bedtime.
- Book way in advance—the canal cruises get sold out FAST! Skip the long queues and book your discount tickets for the Water Colors cruise and Amsterdam Light Festival canal cruise on Ticketbar.
The Water Colors boat tour and Amsterdam Light Festival canal cruise runs from 1 December 2016 until 22 January 2017. Cruises depart from the Lovers Van Gogh Café (opposite Prins Hendrikkade 25) every 20 minutes between 17:00 and 22:00 daily. Currystrumpet is an affiliate partner of Ticketbar.